HOURS

Sun. - Closed
Mon. -  10 am to 4 pm
Tues.  - 10 am to 8 pm
Wed. -  10 am to 8 pm
Thurs. -  10 am to 8 pm
Fri. -  10 am to 4 pm
Sat. -  10 am to 4 pm

Louttit Library was originally a one-room schoolhouse built in 1936 to replace the Sharpe Street School, which had been destroyed by fire. The Louttit family provided the funding. It was the first school in town with electricity.

In 1950, the four one-room schoolhouses were closed and the students then went to the new West Greenwich Consolidated Elementary School. They were thrilled because the new school had central heat, indoor plumbing and even a cafeteria!

At the time, a group of residents suggested using the empty schoolhouse for a library. Incorporation took place in 1951. Books were donated and the library was open two hours on Wednesday night and two hours on Saturday. The first librarian was Marie Rathbun. Her salary was $25 every six months.

In 1978, the Louttit family felt the library should be closer to town hall, so they paid to have it moved to its present location. Additions were put on in 1988, 1992, and 1998. A Community Cultural Center was added to the library in 2010. Funds were provided by the generous donations  from Champlin Foundation and West Greenwich residents. The Elsie Palmgren Oltedale Community Cultural Center may be used by non-profit organizations with permission from the Louttit Library board of trustees.

Louittit Library is a member of the Ocean State Libraries Consortium (OSL).

Home | Your Account | Mission | Directions | What's New
Holiday Closings | Reference | Reference Ctr | Museums | Books | Newspapers | Book Clubs | Teens | Children
Staff | Policies | Services | Community Rm. | Donations | Technology Plan | Town Info | Historical Society

© Copyright 2009-2014 Louttit Library. All rights reserved.
274 Victory Highway West Greenwich, RI 02817 401-397-3434